XP

Friday, June 11, 2010

Homeschool Treasure Find!

Once in awhile I come across sometimes seemingly by accident that is so fun and educational to compliment our homeschool program. I homeschool my 6 and 4 year old boys. My 6 year old is doing remarkably well and is starting 2nd grade work this summer. (He would have been graduating kindergarten now). My friend told me that studies show that most homeschool kids are two grades ahead. I wouldn't have believed it except it is happening to us! Learning can happen so fast when there is so few students and I can go as far as they want on a subject.
Anyway back to my original post. At the library I checked out a audio story series called Rabbit Ears, "American Tall Tales." My kids loved listening to the dramatized Johnny Apple Seed, Mose the Fireman and Stormalong the tough saltwater sailor from Cape Cod (the latter is read by John Candy! I haven't heard his voice in years).
 I don't recommend the one about Rip Van Winkle, it was too weird and kinda creepy. The others have been excellent and helped the boys to understand other parts of the country, and the way people lived long ago when the ideas for these stories were first said around campfires or by grandpas surrounded by grandchildren.  A big bonus is that they are well written so we have the increase in vocabulary.

No comments:

 
Can You Raise The Dead?
Jesus said to Raise the Dead. How do you do it?